Ski traverse between Europe and Africa
At the southernmost point of Greece, the gorgeous megalonisos, two mountains, Psiloritis and the White Mountains await to be explored by the lovers of mountaineering. WAYOUT Adventures has the honor to present a Ski touring - Splitboarding trip to the mountain ranges of Crete. It is going to be an unforgettable experience
Trip Duration: 4-6 Days (upon request)
Activity: Ski touring
Difficulty Rate: Intermediate / Difficult
Period: February - March
If you were looking for the ultimate exotic mountaineering destination, you just found it!
It is located on the largest of the Greek islands and the southernmost tip of Europe.
Crete is characterized as the island of agriculture and Mediterranean gastronomy, musical tradition and folk art.
It is the birthplace of great Greek poets and the place where the Minoan civilization flourished, one of the first European cultures.
Strange as it may sound, Crete is predominantly a mountainous island, as mountains cover 52% of its total area.
The White Mountains in the prefecture of Chania stretch from West to East, 40-45 km long and form the Greek mountain range with the most peaks over 2,000 meters, 57 altogether.
The mountain range of Psiloritis dominates the center of Crete, dividing it into east and west.
Cretan Mountains have to offer unique experiences to their visitors. Endless fields of mountaineering ski and paths that fill the spectator with awe, overlooking the Libyan Sea and the Aegean Sea.
Mountaineering skiing / splitboard. The ultimate escape means
As a way of escaping from large urban centers, and not just during the winter season, mountaineering skiing with appropriate knowledge and familiarization with the winter environment may be carried out in areas with sufficient snow cover and for periods much longer than those of the organized skiing centers. It is an activity more complete than a day of skiing in a ski resort without waiting in the lane queues. Ski mountaineering may also be done through crossing (from a specific point - ie a mountainous village - to another), or through ascending and coming downhill.
The price includes:
- Helmet with straps & ski mask
- Touring skis with runaway Straps or ski brakes, ski touring boots, ski poles, climbing skins (or splitboard equipment)
- Mountaineering backpack 45-50L
- Mountaineering Ice Axe, Crampons & Harness
- Climbing materials, carabiners, quickdraws, belay device, descender etc.
- Avalanche rescue package (Transceiver, Probe, Shovel)
- Headlamp, sunglasses, GPS, lighter, pocket multitool
- Personal pharmacy kit & sunblock for face and lips
- Waterproof Gloves, Beany, Buff, Socks (2 pairs)
- Thermal underwear base layer (2 pairs)
- Soft Shell Jacket or similar (2nd layer)
- Waterproof and breathable mountaineering jacket and pants (3rd layer)
- Hydration equipment + energy snacks
- Sleeping bag (optional)
- Repair Kit, Extra batteries + Personal belongings